Wednesday, May 11, 2011

OREGON'S WAIKIKI

Solo for my baptism into Oregon springtime waves. Found this bay actually named "OREGON'S WAIKIKI". Gin clear water, long paddle out, deserted for the 1st 30 minutes I was in the water. Only shoulder high, point break and.. for around here... what they call gentle. My board was ripped out of my hands on several occasions paddling through white water so the term "gentle" is relative. I have several surf pics Patty took that won't download (probably due to being on wifi as opposed to my verizon braodband) but she did get me sitting out there in this long shot. Wave quality reminded me of home on a good day when all the element's are aligned.
If your looking for a wetsuit for cold water then Patagonia's hooded R3 with R4 booties and gloves is the way you want to go. Never felt a drop of water. I purposely duck dived, rolled over and finally just dove off the board trying to find the entry point where water should seep in. NADA...not a trickle. My head got a little too warm.

After I was out I kept telling Patty my hands were too hot out there. She thought I meant "warm" until I took off my gloves and held her hand. She couldn't believe they were actually hot with the water temps in the upper 40's to 51 degrees.
End of a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

THIS AND THAT